Atlanta Academy was founded to provide an exceptional and well-rounded education for all its students. Understanding that the costs associated with funding an independent school education can be challenging, the school offers a need-based financial assistance option, enabling some children an opportunity to benefit from the academic programs found at Atlanta Academy that might not otherwise be possible due to financial resource constraints. We believe that students should be admitted based on their ability to thrive, not their ability to afford the cost of an Atlanta Academy education.
For more information or questions regarding Financial Assistance, please contact Debra Erwin, Director of Finance and Human Resources, at (678) 461-6102 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 17, 2022 – Application deadline for all currently enrolled Atlanta Academy students.
- February 24, 2023 – Application deadline for all Admissions Candidates.
Financial Assistance Frequently Asked Questions
How is financial assistance funded?
Atlanta Academy allocates dollars toward a designated fund to offer financial assistance for students in need. Atlanta Academy also works with Georgia GOAL (SSO) to provide an opportunity for students who are transferring from a Georgia public school or homeschool program.
Do I need to complete a financial assistance application?
To be considered for financial assistance, applicants must complete a third-party assessment through FACTS. FACTS will require a copy of the most recent tax return (including all schedules and all other supporting documentation), as well as the most recent copy of W-2 forms for both primary parent and spouse. In the case of divorce, parents who share custody must both supply information to FACTS and may do so in separate applications to FACTS. If you have questions or concerns about the FACTS application process, you may contact the FACTS Grant & Aid Parent Helpline at 866.441.4637.
When do I apply?
The 2023-2024 school year financial assistance applications are available starting November 1, 2022.
When is the application deadline?
Deadline to submit an application and all required documentation:
- Application deadline is December 17, 2022, for all currently enrolled Atlanta Academy students.
- Application deadline is February 24, 2023, for all Admissions Candidates.
- Thoroughly complete and submit all required documentation by the deadline noted above to ensure your consideration for financial assistance. Our goal is for each deserved child to be provided the opportunity to attend Atlanta Academy regardless of financial need. However, each year, the requests for financial assistance exceed the funding available. Therefore, it is necessary to establish policies and procedures for consistency and fairness.
Is there an application fee?
FACTS charges a $35 application fee per application submitted. This fee will be paid electronically via FACTS during the submission process. FACTS Grant & Aid is a separate system from the FACTS Parent Portal. Thus, first-time financial assistance applicants will be required to create an account.
What supporting documents will I need to provide?
The following documents are to be submitted along with the application:
- 2021 Tax Return with all supporting schedules.
- 2021 W-2’s and 1099’s.
- 2022 W-2’s and 1099’s – submit on or before February 1, 2023.
How is financial assistance determined and how much assistance will I qualify for?
The Financial Assistance Committee evaluates each family’s application and determines an award. This confidential process takes into account the results of the FACTS Grant and Aid application and corresponding tax documentation. The Financial Assistance Committee will determine the eligibility of need and the amount of the award based on the amount of available funds, the number of applicants requesting assistance, and the need demonstrated by the applicant’s family. The school will determine whether assistance awards will come from general financial assistance funds or Georgia GOAL funds. Demonstrated family need is the sole basis for an award. There are no merit scholarships of any kind.
Are all grades eligible for financial assistance?
Students in grades Kindergarten through 8th are eligible for consideration of financial assistance.
Am I automatically eligible to receive financial assistance after the first year of enrollment?
Financial assistance recipients must re-apply and meet all assistance eligibility requirements for financial assistance each year. The completion of the financial assistance application is not a binding agreement that assistance is available or will be granted in future years.
How do I receive financial assistance notification?
The Atlanta Academy Business Office will distribute and process all financial assistance materials. Letters of notification with financial assistance award information will be sent via email to applicant families upon decision of the award.
Financial Assistance Notification Dates
- For current families submitting completed applications by the deadline of December 17, 2022, Atlanta Academy will communicate financial assistance award decisions by the end of the day on February 1, 2023. Returning families will have until February 7, 2023, to accept the award and submit the reenrollment contract. The enrollment deposit will be automatically drafted from your FACTS account on March 6, 2023. Once reenrollment is completed, your award will be applied to your FACTS account toward tuition for the academic year it is awarded. The remaining tuition balance will be divided over the payment plan option you elect when signing the re-enrollment contract.
- For Admissions Candidates, all financial assistance decisions will be included with the admissions decision on April 1, 2023. New families will have until April 11, 2023, to accept the award and submit the enrollment contract. The enrollment deposit will be automatically drafted from your FACTS account within 10 calendar days of submission. Once enrolled, your award will be applied to your FACTS account toward tuition for the academic year it is awarded. The remaining tuition balance will be divided over the payment plan option you elect when signing the enrollment contract.
How do I qualify for Georgia GOAL Scholarship Funds?
Beyond the internal requirements of Georgia GOAL partner schools, scholarship applicants must also meet the following requirements as defined in HB 283:
- Eligible to enroll in a public Pre-K, Kindergarten, or 1st Grade or …
- Coming from a public school to a private school for the first time or …
- Coming from a home-school (1 year min) or charter school environment for the first time or …
- Previously received an SSO Scholarship or …
- Attended a minimum of 45 days of public school prior to enrolling at a qualified private school
- Has evidence of a documented case of bullying in the public school system
- Districted for a failing public school as defined by the Governor’s Office of Student Achievement
Are funds transferable?
Funds are not transferable to another family member, even in the event of withdrawal.
Are there other opportunities for assistance?
The Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Program allows eligible students to attend private school. In addition to Atlanta Academy’s eligibility criteria, a student must meet the Georgia Department of Education’s eligibility requirements to qualify for this program. For preliminary review, parents need to submit the student’s IEP to the school along with a current (within the last three years) psychological education evaluation, if available. For more information regarding this program, please contact Kerry Howard, 4th-8th grade Director of Curriculum and Academic Services, by phone at 678.461.6102 or via email at email@example.com.
Communication between the applicant’s family and other families or staff regarding financial assistance awards is prohibited. Financial assistance is strictly confidential. Sharing information with others may lead to the revocation of the financial assistance award. Atlanta Academy bases these policies on the NAIS Financial Aid Administration, Principles of Good Practice.
Atlanta Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, protected disability, national or ethnic origin, genetic disease or disorder, or protected age in the administration of its admission, academic, athletic, financial aid, and employment policies.
Atlanta Academy’s Financial Assistance Terms & Conditions
- Financial assistance is subject to verification by FACTS Grant and Aid. Atlanta Academy reserves the right to alter financial assistance decisions resulting from the verification process (e.g., no significant changes in income levels from amounts previously reported). Due to other program requirements, your cooperation may be necessary to provide and/or sign additional documentation. If Atlanta Academy requests additional supporting documentation upon or after accepting this award, you will be required to submit the necessary documents within the deadline presented by the school. Otherwise, you risk forfeiting your financial assistance award.
- The award will only be applied toward tuition. It is understood that other school fees may be incurred during the academic year. It is also understood that the award is only for the academic year it was awarded. If a family desires to be considered for assistance in subsequent school years, they must reapply each year.
- If the student withdraws from Atlanta Academy prior to the last day of school, the financial assistance award will be prorated based on the number of months attended and therefore, the full amount of financial assistance will not be provided.
- For current families, all FACTS accounts must remain current. Otherwise, you risk forfeiting your financial assistance award.
- Due to the confidentiality of Atlanta Academy’s Financial Assistance Program, it is understood that discussing the details of this financial assistance offer with other individuals may result in the forfeiture of the award.
If you have any further questions regarding Atlanta Academy’s financial assistance program, please contact:
Debra Erwin, Director of Finance and Human Resources.
Phone Number: (678) 461-6102